Adam Straughan, BEng
Experienced software development team lead with a solid history of delivering valuable, robust software solutions to clients. A leadership approach that enables teams to deliver together. A development approach to allow continuous delivery of value.
- Team Lead, provide space and direction to enable teams to succeed.
- Architecture and Design, a wide range of experience from embedded C, Windows device drivers, traditional web sites through to distributed services and event based systems.
- Agile Practitioner, initially a certified scrum master, now through many and varied experiences learning the path to agile software delivery. Still learning.
- Communication, Dealing with people is easily as important as dealing with technology.
Aim for simple solutions, both to consume and maintain. Prefer testing behaviour rather than implementation. Understand your system through deliberate observation. Treat operations as first class stake-holders. Enjoy your work.
This approach, developed and improved upon over my career, has delivered key outcomes for clients.
- Early incremental releases
- Clear operational monitoring
- Proportional cost of change
- Programming (C# full and dotnet core, Go)
- Cloud (AWS, Terraform, Docker)
- Database (SQL, MongoDB, Couchbase)
- Events (Tibco EMS, RabbitMQ, AWS SQS/SNS)
Currently exploring ideas around Testing behaviours not implementation and Structures logging as events for better observability
2018-present: Spektrix Ltd developer/agile consultant
- Help migrate .net application to Azure Cloud services
2018: Curve ltd, developer/agile consultant (6 months)
- Designed and implemented several key components of new micro-services to prepare the company for significant growth.
- Mentored team members in both go and agile practices.
- Technologies: go, Docker, MongoDB, Postgress, AWS
2015-2018: Tesco plc, developer/technical lead
- Tech Lead, Designed and implemented new Points API covering Clubcard and other digital discount point schemes
- Tech Lead, Designed and implemented Marketing Eligibility API to aggregate a true position based on several legacy data sources
- Interim agile lead for Profile team
- Technologies: C#, MongoDB, Couchbase, Tibco EMS, AWS, ansible, terraform, go, java
2014-2015: Compare the Market, developer/technical lead
- Tech Lead, Complete re-design and architecture for Home Insurance component to reduce the on going cost of change, simplify development and increased data handling quality. This approach was later taken as the basis for upgrades to the other products.
- Technical Lead, design and implement real time migration from legacy system to newer site. Reduced overall work required, increased confidence in customer data validity
- Developer, Feature development for Home Insurance component
2013-2014: Tesco plc, developer/architect
- Implement Customer Profile API within in-house framework
- Technologies: C#, SQL, Tibco EMS
2013-present: Equal Experts, Associate
2012-2013: easyJet, Contract developer
- Develop various features on the main web site
2012-present: Nearly Unique Ltd, Managing Director
2011-2012: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Software Development Manager
- Managed team of 6 developers
- Introduced agile principles to technical and product colleagues
- Designed and implemented USB driver (in C#) for custom hardware to enable scientists to automate equipment with python
- Technologies: C#, XAML, Python
2007-2011: Cambridge Assessment, .Net Development Lead
- Managed team of 15-20 developers
- Set up team, introduced agile practices and behaviours
- Oversaw development of core products, OCR Interchange website and Electronic Marking System
- Enterprise wide system analysis, as it related to .Net team
- Technologies: C#, SQL
2004-2007: Leica Microsystems Cambridge, Senior Software Engineer
- Designed and developed microscope control components
- Technologies: C#, SQL
1999-2004: Beacon Computer Technology, developer/project lead
- Bespoke software house, various projects
1997–1999: MDSI, Software Developer
- Taxi dispatch system
- Technologies: C, C++, Oracle PL/SQL
1995-1997: DDL, Software Developer
- Bespoke software
- Camera drivers
- Frame grabbers
- Windows desktop applications for scientists
- Technologies: C, C++
- 1990-1993: BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, Nottingham University
- 1991-1993: A Level Maths, Physics & Design, Peter Symonds College, Winchester
- Blog https://blog.straughan.org
- Github https://github.com/nearlyunique
- Stackoverflow https://stackoverflow.com/users/14019/adam-straughan